Tuesday 17 February 2015

Mini Reviews | Books Of 2014 Part 2

I decided to to some mini reviews of the books I read in 2014 that I didn't want to do a full review of for whatever reason. I have a Part 1 here in which I did mini reviews for The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling, Our Story by Union J and the Katie Parker Productions Series by Jenny B Jones.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (#1), It's Ok, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers (#2), Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas (#3) and Dancing In My Nuddy-Pants (#4) by Louise Rennison
Series: Confessions Of Georgia Nicholson series
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: May 31, 2000 (#1)
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 247 (#1)
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought

What I Liked: These books are such fun, easy reads. The characters, especially the main character Georgia, are all a little bit mad which makes for some interesting reading. While these are aimed at younger teens, reading as an 20 year old is nostalgic in way as I often find myself relating to these characters and remembering, though not fondly, my similar antics at that age.
What I Disliked: Like I mentioned, these books are aimed at younger readers than myself so I often find some parts to be a little immature. Though this doesn't affect my overall enjoyment of the books too much, it can be a little annoying sometimes.
Rating: ★★★


Image and video hosting by TinyPicInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #2
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: May 1, 2012
Genre: Dystopian
Pages: 525
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: The best part about a second book in a series, for me anyway, is returning to characters you have made a connection with but still have more of a connection to make. I enjoyed returning to these characters and the society, and of course, Four.
What I Disliked: I hate to say this but I found this book to be a little boring. After so much happened in the first book I was disappointed that Insurgent seemed to go round in circles with not a lot of new excitement. I also didn't enjoy the Tris and Four relationship as much as I had in Divergent.
Rating: ★★★★ (honestly, that is pretty generous!)


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops by Jen Campbell
Published By: Constable
Published On: March 27, 2012
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 128
Format: eBook
Source: Bought

What I Liked: This is a really quick read and perfect for the times where you just want something really light. The stories are funny and often have you questioning the intelligence of society, so it is overall very enjoyable.
What I Disliked: I was expecting the stories to be funnier than they were due to the hype and ended up left a little disappointed. There were some hilarious stories but others were not that great and some I didn't even understand.
Rating: ★★★



Image and video hosting by TinyPicPlease, Nurse! by Joan Lock
Published By: Orion
Published On: November 4, 2013
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 145
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: As I am hoping to go into the nursing/midwifery field, I like reading about the training process, both currently and historically. I find this type of book very interesting.
What I Disliked: I found this book very confusing. The tales of her training were all very scattered and it was as though a different story began in the middle of whatever story was already being told. Everything was very scattered and it seemed to be more of a complaint about every aspect of the training and while I understand it may not have been enjoyable, there is no need to write a book complaining about it!
Rating: ★★ 3/4

Those are the last of my mini reviews of books I read in 2014. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment