Wednesday 19 August 2015

Review | How To Fall In Love by Cecelia Ahern

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHow To Fall In Love by Cecelia Ahern
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: April 3, 2014
Genre: Chick Lit
Pages: 415
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★★★

Amazon | Goodreads

She has just two weeks. Two weeks to teach him how to fall in love – with his own life. 
Adam Basil and Christine Rose are thrown together late one night, when Christine is crossing the Halfpenny Bridge in Dublin. Adam is there, poised, threatening to jump. Adam is desperate – but Christine makes a crazy deal with him. His 35th birthday is looming and she bets him she can show him that life is worth living before then. 
Despite her determination, Christine knows what a dangerous promise she’s made. Against the ticking of the clock, the two of them embark on wild escapades, grand romantic gestures and some unlikely late-night outings. 
Slowly, Christine thinks Adam is starting to fall back in love with his life. But has she done enough to change his mind for good? And is that all that’s starting to happen?

As Christine is crossing the Ha’penny Bridge in Dublin late one night, she comes across a man who is preparing to jump. In an attempt to stop him, Christine makes a deal. She must prove to him that his life is worth living before his 35th birthday, just two weeks away.

After reading this book I established that Cecelia Ahern is definitely a new favourite author. I absolutely loved this book and the writing style had a lot to do with that. She has a fantastic way of completely drawing you into the story and really making you feel for the characters.

Cecelia Ahern writes great characters that I absolutely loved. Christine was a great main character; quirky and witty with a kind heart and a strange obsession with ‘how to’ books. I loved reading from her point of view. I also loved Adam who, despite wanting to end his life, was a fun character to read about. He was another witty character, though with a darker sense of humour. Both characters added a lot to the story.

I really enjoyed the overall story. I’ve read quite a few books featuring suicide recently, a couple of which were pretty similar, but this is a completely different take on the subject. It is quite a unique story, unlike anything I have read before.

Considering the subject of this book, it could have been quite a sad read. However, Cecelia Ahern managed to make a difficult, very sad subject funny and enjoyable. The subject of suicide was given the sensitivity and seriousness it deserves, but the writing style and the witty characters added a more light-hearted element to the story.

I saw an interview with Cecelia Ahern in which she mentioned that some of the idea for this book came from the film Up In The Air and I love how the aspects from that film added to this story. Up In The Air is one of my all time favourite movies and it was very interesting to see how aspects of that movie were interpreted and included within this book.

Overall, I absolutely loved this book and it has definitely made my love for Cecelia Ahern grow. I loved her writing style, the great characters and the unique story. I admire how such a serious topic can be covered with such sensitivity yet still make such a funny book. This is definitely a book I will be recommending in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Cecelia Ahern is just my favorite Author! I'm gonna have to grab this book since I don't already have it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete