Sunday 31 January 2016

Wrap Up & Haul | January 2016

The first month of 2016 has been a strange one. It has seemed to both fly by and drag at the same time. The year hasn't gotten off to the best start in both my reading and blogging life and in my personal life. Both myself and my mum have been ill throughout the month which has resulted in a few sick days and a lot of time playing nurse. Unfortunately, we got some pretty bad news about my mums health a few days ago, which may result in this blog taking a bit of a back seat in the near future. For now though, I am hoping that February will at least be a better reading month.

My Life In January...
- I spent my New Year with some great friends and family.
- I finally submitted my application for my second university degree.
- My beautiful nephew was born, making me an auntie for the first time.
- I got my results for the semester of uni, which allowed me to leave a semester early.

Watched In January...
- How Did We End Up Here - 4/5
- Private Practice Season 1 (rewatch) - 4/5
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - 5/5
- Private Practice Season 2 (rewatch) - 4/5
- Private Practice Season 3 (rewatch) - 3/5
- Private Practice Season 4 - 4/5
- Private Practice Season 5 - 4/5
- Private Practice Season 6 - 4/5
- The Other Woman - 3.5/5
- Into The Woods - 2.5/5

Read In January...

Ignite by Lily Paradis -
My first read of 2016, and only read of January, was a reread of one of my favourite books I read last year. I read Ignite for the first time on the plane to New York back in January of 2015 and I couldn't stop thinking about it for the whole trip. Rereading this book not only brought back great memories of New York, it made me fall in love with it all over again. I adore the characters and the story in general and I know it is one I will reread many more times. I rarely change my ratings after rereads but I couldn't resists giving this an extra star upon second reading. I have a full rating of this which you can check out here. 5/5

Bought In January...

 photo Jan01_zpsy2gz3yoz.jpg

Room by Emma Donoghue -
I had no desire to read this book despite having heard great things, however I seen the movie trailer while at the cinema and it intrigued me. I decided that since the movie looked pretty good I should probably read the book before going to see it. I know very little about this book but I get the impression this is the kind of book that you should go into blind. This is one I'm very curious about.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - 
This is another one that has a movie adaptation releasing this year and the fact that it is staring Sam Claflin is the main reason I want to read this book. I have heard great things about this, and did try to listen to it on audiobook a little while ago but didn't enjoy the narration. This is another I know little about but I believe from what I have heard it is a very inspirational, heart-warming story.

Love Is The Higher Law by David Levithan -
This is probably the book from this month that I am the most looking forward to reading. I have been wanting to read this for so long, even more so after my visit to Ground Zero in January of last year. This book is based around the events of 9/11 and follows three characters whose lives become connected through the tragedy. This is only around 180 pages, which is much shorter than I expected, so should be a quick read.

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy -
This is another book I have been wanting to read for a while now. I think this is such a unique story and have heard some great things about it. It follow a girl who is diagnosed with leukaemia so makes a revenge centred bucket-list, only to go into remission and have to deal with the consequences of her actions. This just sounds like such an interesting idea so I am intrigued by it.

Blogged In January...
- I wrapped up the month of December.
- I wrapped up my 2015 and shared my years stats.
- I shared the books I got for Christmas in my December haul.
- I shared my favourites of the year, and more, in the End Of Year Book Survey.
- I wrapped up my 2015 reading challenges and shared my goals for 2016.

That is how I started off my 2016. Hopefully the rest of the year will improve, both in terms of reading/blogging and in my personal life.

How did your reading year start off?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment