Friday 6 January 2017

2016 | Most Disappointing Of 2016

Unfortunately, throughout your reading life, there are often books you expect more from and are left disappointed. This could be book you expect to like and end up hating, or just a book you wanted to love but it didn't quite reach 5 star level. I didn't want to share my least favourite books of the year and just end up bashing someones hard work, but I thought I would share 5 books that disappointed me in 2016.

 photo MostDisappointing2016_zpsaxdnm0de.png

Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding - I absolutely love this movie and heard such great things about the book that I really expected to love it. I thought it would be the perfect summer read, especially as it's on so many summer reading lists. However, I ended up having so many problems with it. I didn't like the informality of the writing - I know it's meant to be a diary but when you start to miss out 'the' and similar words it just becomes too informal for my liking. There was also a lot of unhealthy talk about weight that I just didn't like.

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - I was so excited to read this because everyone was raving about it for months following its publication. The premise was intriguing and I really loved the unique way it was written but I had some problems I just couldn't ignore. I gave it 3 stars as I did enjoy it, but had it ended differently and the problems I had were resolved, it would have easily been a 4 star read.

Confessions Of A Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - This was possibly my most disappointing read of the year. Everyone loves Sophie Kinsella and this series in particular but I really did not like this book. I had so many problems with the main character and a lot of the plot points, it just wasn't for me. I have a full review if you want to know more of my thoughts.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - This was more a case of I really liked it but I wanted to love it. This is a favourite for so many people and I really did want to love it. I definitely loved aspects of it but I couldn't take to a lot of the 'fanfic' aspect. I thought it was a great extra dimension to Cath, the main character, and loved reading the sections of the fanfic, but I think it was taken a bit too far for my liking.

The Crown by Kiera Cass - I really liked this book, don't get me wrong, but it was a slightly disappointing conclusion to the series. I was disappointed as soon as my copy first arrived because of how short it was. The final two books in The Selection series just don't like up to the original trilogy in general, but I think my biggest disappointment was just how it ended. I'm not used to shipping the couple that doesn't work out and, as much as I understand why Eadlyn didn't end up with the boy I wanted, it still made me a little bit mad. I planned to do a full spoiler review discussing my thoughts back in May when I read it but never got around to it, let me know if I should still go ahead and do it.

Like I said, these weren't necessarily books I didn't enjoy from 2016, but in some way I was disappointed. Let me know you're thoughts on these books and what books disappointed you in 2016?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment