Wednesday 21 June 2017

Mini Review | Harry Potter And The Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHarry Potter And The Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
Series: Harry Potter #8 (kind of..debatable)
Published On: July 31, 2016
Published By: Little Brown
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 343
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★★★

Amazon | Goodreads

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children. 
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Prepare for unpopular opinions.
I loved this book so much. According to pretty much everyone I follow on Goodreads, however, I am in the minority. I'm would go as far as to say I loved this book more than the original series. I have never been a hardcore Harry Potter fan, having only finished reading the series for the first time last year, but I adored this. I always felt that I enjoyed the Harry Potter books slightly less because I knew what happened in all of them, so perhaps my complete lack of knowledge of this story added to my enjoyment.

I didn't notice the things everyone had issues with.
I heard many people talk about the inaccuracies of this book and things that didn't make sense from the original series but I didn't notice anything. Like I said, I'm not a hardcore fan, I haven't read all of the books multiple times and maybe that is why. I could enjoy it for what it was in itself, rather than as a continuation of a favourite series.

It was fabulously ridiculous.
To all of the people who complain that this story is utterly ridiculous, I will happily agree. The story in itself was a bit ridiculous but in the most fun way. Everything about it was just so much fun and I wanted to be a part of it all.

Albus and Scorpius are my new faves.
I honestly adored these two as main characters. I want to be friends with them! I quite enjoyed the fact that there wasn't really a 'hermione' type character in the friendship group and that they were just a fun little duo. I also loved the fact they were in Slytherin. It's quite a common misconception that all Slytherins are evil and we needed characters like these two to prove that you can possess Slytherin qualities without going all Dark Arts and bad guy on us.

Really enjoyed reading it as a script.
I was unsure about whether I would enjoy reading it in this format but as I usually love books written in different ways, like in letters for example, I loved this. I can read books so much quicker when I'm not just reading chunks of text so the script format was perfect for me and I flew through it.

Overall, unlike the many people who seem to have a lot of problems with this book, I absolutely loved it. I have been wanting to reread it from the minute I put it down and haven't stopped thinking about it. The more I think about it the more I love it. As I said, I think the fact that I am not a huge Harry Potter fan did let me enjoy it more, as well as not knowing the main points of the plot, unlike with the original series.

No comments:

Post a Comment