Sunday 7 January 2018

Top Six | Most Disappointing Books Of 2017

I rated 10 of 49 books less than 2 stars in 2017. That means a fair few disappointing reads. Unfortunately, some of the books I read in 2017 were not for me and many of those were ones I genuinely thought I would really enjoy. Some I didn't expect great things from in the first place but the six that made this list were those I really expected more from.


1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
I wanted to love this. I expected to love this. I did not love this. So many people love this book and for many it is their favourite of Rainbow Rowell's works. Sadly, I could not see the appeal. There was just too much I didn't like about this but mainly I just found it boring and hated the characters.

2. Heart Of The Matter by Emily Giffin
I really enjoyed the two of Emily Giffin's books I had read previously so expected to enjoy this one as well. I know many people have an issue with her books as they commonly feature cheating and that is never usually a huge problem of mine, however I couldn't get past it in this book. So many aspects of this story were so inappropriate and uncomfortable to read about that I couldn't enjoy it.

3. All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher
I love Carrie, I really do, and I wanted to love this book. I know I'm older than the targeted age and that the advice no longer really applied to me, but even as a teenager I know I would not have enjoyed this book. It felt very preachy and as though she was trying to sound better than everyone else, which I genuinely don't think is anything like Carrie herself. I still love her and she is one of the nicest people I have ever met, but this book wasn't for me.

4. There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
Jenny B Jones wrote one of my favourite series, the Katie Parker Productions series, and after finishing that I couldn't wait to read some of her other stuff. This is one of her most popular books so I decided to give it a go. Now I almost wish I hadn't. This book tried to be way too many things and couldn't pull them off. All of the many story lines ended up falling flat, but what was more disappointing is that a few of them could have made a really great story without all the others thrown in.

5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Everyone loves this book. WHY? This book made me so unbelievably angry. My first Jay Asher book, What Light, was one of my favourites of 2016 so that combined with the hype surrounding this book, I expected way more. This book is not the way to portray suicide and, quite frankly, I think it's potentially harmful.

6. All We Have Is Now by Lisa Schroeder
This was my lowest rated book of the year. I didn't really know what to expect going into it but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. For a book about the world being about to end, this was boring. The characters were horrible, the story wasn't executed well and the ending was awful.

I've finished complaining now, I promise. Here's to less disappointing books in 2018! Have you read any of the books I mentioned? What did you think of them?

Sophie :)

2 comments:

  1. 13 Reasons Why made me super angry too! In my opinion, the show was even worse because it attracted such a wide audience and was so problematic. However, I do think that the conversation that arose from the television show was good. I've actually written a post on the matter here: 13 Reasons To Avoid 13 Reasons Why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show was the only reason I read the book in the first place but after disliking the book so much, I haven't watched any of it. I definitely agree it started good conversation, it's just a shame that conversation couldn't have been brought about by something less problematic.

      Delete